At Walker Family Law, we aim to provide clear guidance on accessing legal aid, especially for cases involving social services. We understand that dealing with legal matters can be overwhelming, especially when it concerns your family.
1. If Social Services Take Court Action:
– If social services take legal action against you regarding the care of your children, you are entitled to free legal aid.
– This support is not based on your financial situation or your chance of winning the case.
– We can assist you with the legal aid process, ensuring your costs are covered throughout the court case.
2. If Social Services Invite You to a Meeting:
– If you receive a letter from social services indicating the possibility of court action, you also have access to free legal aid.
– This aid is provided to guarantee you have legal representation and to safeguard your rights in the upcoming meeting.
3. For General Advice without Court Proceedings:
– If your child is under a child protection plan, or if you’re unsure about your rights in a situation where social services are involved, you may qualify for initial advice legal aid.
– This type of aid is subject to a means test, which we can help you navigate.
4. For Ongoing Court Proceedings:
– If you require representation for contact with a child in care, defence against adoption proceedings, or to apply for discharge of a care order, legal aid may be available.
– Both means and merits tests will determine your eligibility.
We understand the challenges faced by grandparents and other family members in accessing legal aid. While free legal aid may not be available, we can help you navigate the means and merits tests to assess your eligibility.
We can guide you through the process and handle the necessary paperwork to ensure you receive the support you need.
For more information, please get in touch, we are here to help.
Read our latest insights about divorce and separation.
The standards we meet to ensure you receive the highest quality care.
A confidential and supportive space for those going through a divorce or separation.
Our mission to set standards of excellence in our practice of family law.